Who doesn’t love a yummy chocolate cake. This week I’m sharing my go to, super simple chocolate cake recipe. With only 6 ingredients that all go into the mixer at the same time it is so easy to make. I really hope you’ll enjoy it. You’ll also find my chocolate buttercream frosting recipe too!
Just click below to watch the tutorial ⇩ or scroll to the bottom of this post for the full recipe and step by step instructions.
I really love how simple this chocolate cake is to make and it is perfect if you want to fill and cover it in buttercream, or you can also cover it in ganache and fondant too.
In the video the recipe is enough to create 2x 6 inch sponge cakes which can be divided into 4 layers, giving you a cake with a height of around 4 inches. You can also use my handy cake conversion tool to convert this recipe for any size cake tin.
I really hope you enjoy the video and also enjoy recipe too. If you haven’t already you can subscribe to my YouTube channel for more Free cake decorating video tutorials.
Tools I used
I have put a list below showing all the tools that I used throughout this video or if you would like to see all my favourite cake decorating tools just click here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/shop/cakesbylynz
AEG Food Mixer: https://amzn.to/3Jvvtp8
6 Inch Cake tins (similar): https://amzn.to/3bx7JEx
Turn Table: https://amzn.to/3Q6LPYa
Metal Scrapper Tool (small): http://amzn.to/2BNjf7v
Offset spatula (small): https://amzn.to/2yD7btn
~ Please note that the links above are affiliate links. If you click the link and purchase any item through that link, I will receive a small commission from the website but this does NOT add any additional costs to you. Thank you so much for supporting this blog x ~
Easy Chocolate Cake Recipe
Yummy chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream filling
Ingredients for 6 inch Chocolate Cake
- 340g / 13oz – Self Raising Flour
- 400g / 14oz – Butter
- 400g / 14oz – Caster Sugar
- 60g / 2oz – Cocoa Powder
- 4 medium eggs
- 3 – 4 tbsp – Milk
Ingredients for buttercream
- 450g / 16oz – Icing Sugar
- 250g / 9oz – Salted Butter
- 45g / 1.5oz – Cocoa Powder
- 2.5 tbsp- Milk
- For the chocolate cake add all the ingredients into your mixing bowl together. If you have eggs on the larger side you may with to hold back a small amount of milk until you can see the consistency.
- Either with a stand mixer or using a hand whisk combine all your ingredients. You are looking for a smooth mixer which is spreadable, but not too runny. If your mixer is quite thick you can add the rest of the milk.
- Split your mixture between 2x 6 inch cake tins. I like to add butter around the edge of my tins and dust with flour before adding a 6 inch disc of parchment paper into the bottom, so my cake won’t stick. Once the mixture is added smooth it out on the top.
- Add your tins onto the middle shelf of a preheated oven at 180°C or 356°F for around 45 minutes. I always use a normal oven setting as I find fan ovens can bake the outside of the cake quicker than the inside. If you only have a fan oven you will need to reduce the temperature and bake for longer.
- Remove the cakes from the oven when you are able to push a cocktail stick into the center and it comes out clear.
- Leave your cake to cool before slicing into layers.
- For the buttercream add all the ingredients into your mixing bowl, making sure to sift the icing sugar to get rid of any lumps.
- Mix the buttercream in your stand mixer or using a hand whisk for around 5 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Once you are happy with the consistency of your buttercream it is ready to use to fill the layers of your cake.
Plus why not save this tutorial for later and pin it to Pinterest