Donuts make the perfect treat on their own or look great when used on your cakes for decoration too. Covered in coloured glaze they can be made in any colour to match your theme. In this weeks video tutorial I’m showing you how to make these yummy baked donuts covered in a coloured glaze.
Just click below to watch the tutorial ⇩ or scroll to the bottom of this post for the full recipe and step by step instructions.
Baked donuts do have a slightly more cakey texture than fried donuts but these donuts are so easy to make and only take 10 minutes in the oven. By using a combination of baking powder and bicarbonate of soda, they have a really fluffy texture.
In this tutorial I’m covering my donuts in a coloured vanilla glaze, but they also taste amazing brushed with a little melted butter and tossed in some caster sugar, for a sugar donut instead.
After coating my donuts in this pretty blue and purple glaze the best way to finish them off was with some fun sprinkles. I used the Sweet Mermaid mix by Happy Sprinkles as the colours matched perfectly.
If you want to get your hands on some Happy Sprinkles they have also kindly given me a 10% off discount code for me to share with you.
To receive 10% off Happy Sprinkles all you need to do is visit their website www.happysprinkles.com or The Cake Decorating Company and enter the code HAPPYLYNZ10 at the checkout! (This code can not be combined with any other discounts)
I had so much fun making these donuts and they were perfect to add onto the birthday cake I was making. To get the donuts to stand up on the top of your cake, you can fix them in place on a bamboo skewer and on the front just push them into the buttercream.
I really hope you enjoy making the recipe, whether your serving them on their own at a party or adding them onto your cakes!
Tools I used
I have put a list below showing all the tools that I used throughout this video or if you would like to see all my favourite cake decorating tools just click here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/shop/cakesbylynz
Donut Trays: https://amzn.to/3sEhSna
Piping Bags: https://amzn.to/37Wp4Bl
Happy Sprinkles Sweet Mermaid: https://bit.ly/3CXY5Um (Get 10% off with code ‘HAPPYLYNZ10’)
Raspberry Colour Splash: https://amzn.to/2XSvYF2
Jade Colour Splash: https://amzn.to/3mviPgD
Blue Colour Splash: https://amzn.to/3z193pN
PME Cake Release: https://amzn.to/3moBmL8
~ Please note that the links above are affiliate links. If you click the link and purchase any item through that link, I will receive a small commission from the website but this does NOT add any additional costs to you. Thank you so much for supporting this blog x ~
Glazed Baked Donut Recipe
Perfect on their own, or they make the perfect cake decoration!
Ingredients for 12x Donuts
- 180g Plain Flour
- 105g Caster Sugar
- 1 large Egg (65g)
- 115g Salted Butter
- 1/4 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 100g Buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Vanilla
Ingredients for Glaze
- 150g Icing Sugar
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla (or flavouring of your choice)
- Food Gel Colour of your choice
- Add all the dry ingredients together in one bowl and all the wet ingredients into another bowl (saving the ingredients for the glaze until later).
- Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring as you go.
- Place the mixture into a piping bag and fill up each donut shape in your tin, filling half way.
- Place into a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 10 – 12 minutes. If you are using a fan oven reduce the temperature to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Once baked leave the donuts to cool.
- For the glaze sift the icing sugar into a bowl and slowly add the milk.
- Once you get a thick glaze that falls off the spoon your glaze is ready (you may not need all the milk). The thinner the glaze the more opaque.
- Add any food gel colour of your choice.
- Dip your donut into your glaze, allowing any excess to drip off, before placing it down, adding any sprinkles and leaving it around 20 – 30 minutes for the glaze to dry.
Plus why not save this tutorial for later and pin it to Pinterest